Thursday, August 21, 2014

How can I get my elderly father to admit he needs financial help?



I hope you can help me find a way to talk to my father about his financial situation. Last month his electricity was turned off and my sisters and I helped pay a past-due balance of several months. He says it was just carelessness and he didn't notice the bill was overdue, but my dad is very on top of things and I think he was just covering up for not having the money. Over the last couple years I've noticed a number of little things, like having less food in the house, that make me worry that he's financially stressed. I love my dad so much, and I can't stand the idea of him struggling alone with this. How can I get him to open up to me?

Read more in this week's Financial Therapy column at SheKnows.com for five ways to open up a conversation with elderly parents and establish a collaborative framework for their care.